Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Phil Armstrong : (31 October 2014 - 05:05 AM) Get well Greg
@  Nelson Guitars : (30 October 2014 - 07:06 PM) Home sick today. First time in years. 101.9 this afternoon. No ebola jokes please. Get your flu shots.
@  Dean : (30 October 2014 - 12:57 PM) well I didn't want to exclude anyone...
@  Nelson Guitars : (30 October 2014 - 12:09 PM) Are there any girls in the archtop build along?
@  Dean : (30 October 2014 - 10:39 AM) ...and gals- Everyone~!
@  Dean : (30 October 2014 - 08:39 AM) I enjoy watching the progress on all the archtop builds! Nice work you guys.

Photo
- - - - -

THICKNESS GAUGE

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Jim

Posted 10 October 2006 - 10:21 AM

On eBay there is currently a thickness gauge that looks simple enough to build. Does anyone have a drawing for making one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=320036105673

Jim

#2 Guest_Eben_*

Posted 10 October 2006 - 10:57 AM

There are a bunch of homemade ones in various threads here, Jim, but I don't know that anybody every broke a thread out about them, so this is good - You might look here for starters:

http://luthierforum....p?showtopic=569

Also, Grizzly has many variations from manual to gauge that are cheap and work quite well - I got a caliper style thingus from them that has around 5" of reach...

Eben

#3 Pinehilldesigns

Posted 10 October 2006 - 11:21 AM

Bob Benedetto has a homemade one in his book that looks pretty slick.
Doesn't look like it would be very hard to make.

Kirt

#4 Guest_dtleahy_*

Posted 10 October 2006 - 11:21 AM

Hi Jim,

I made one that looks kinda like that one on Ebay, but simpler. Same 2 pieces of wood, but then I put a T-nut in the wood directly below the gauge arm, and used a (round headed) stove bolt. I cut a slot in the bottom of the bolt, so I could turn it with a screwdriver, and I purposely damaged the bolt threads a bit so the bolt would not move on its own. Once you spin the bolt to barely make contact with the gauge arm, (and zero out the gauge), you're ready to measure. It's easy enough to pick up the gauge arm and slide the wood in, so I don't think the fulcrum lift lever to raise the gauge arm is necessary.

Dennis

#5 Stephen Stevens Guitars

Posted 10 October 2006 - 02:47 PM

Here is the thickness gauge I have been using.

This one is simple - easily made and easy to use.
IPB Image

Steve

#6 Nelson Guitars

Posted 10 October 2006 - 03:54 PM

And here is mine.

IPB Image

The dial guages are very inexpensive to buy. I prefer this system where the instrument is stationary and you manipulate the top through it as opposed to a hand held. To each his own!

Greg N

#7 Guest_Eben_*

Posted 10 October 2006 - 04:22 PM

I've seen very good prices for those little guys at MSC, Grizzly, and the Iturra catalogue - Might just have to spring for one - That's very elegant, Greg, and looks downright sturdy, too!

E

#8 Nelson Guitars

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:08 PM

Sometimes I get inspired. It didn't take any longer to make it look nice than it would have to do it basic. It's interesting though, it is very sturdy but the dial guage will vary by 15-20 thousandths throughout the year due to changes in RH.

Greg N

#9 Stephen Stevens Guitars

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:54 PM

Greg,

We are working with wood ! laugh.gif

I like the dial guage type read-out but would much prefer it to have much courser calibrations.

I do like the idea of not needing to pick the guage up for each reading though.

Someone here on the Forum showed us a shop made guage that was mounted on the wall. That one looked interesting too.

Steve

#10 Jim

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:32 AM

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Steve's and Greg's look great for thicknessing carved top and backs. My newbie concern is that once I get my top and back to the proper thickness, what is happening to their thickness when I sand them after joining them to the sides? I had to do a lot of scraping and sanding on my first guitar, and I worried about making it too thin. I need something to slip into the soundhole. I don't have the Benedetto book and I couldn't find anything in the jigs forum that Eben mentioned. I guess I better buy the book. huh.gif

Jim

#11 Stephen Stevens Guitars

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:30 PM

Jim,

I remember seeing a magnet based rig that will work on assembled instruments.

Found it is a recently expired catalog -

Hacklinger Thickness Guage - WOW ! Ain't cheap either ! $385.00.

Guess we could live without that one.

blink.gif

Steve

#12 Guest_Eben_*

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:49 PM

Well, you should get the book, Jim - It's a joy - But if you want, I'll scan the appropriate pages for ya...

E

#13 Jim

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE(Eben @ Oct 11 2006, 04:49 PM) View Post

Well, you should get the book, Jim - It's a joy - But if you want, I'll scan the appropriate pages for ya...

E

Eben,

Thanks, think I'll take you up on your generous offer. I will follow Steve's suggestion as soon as the Lottery check comes in!!! laugh.gif

You can PM me or post if for everybody, which might stretch the copyright laws.

Jim

#14 Guest_Eben_*

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:17 PM

Yeah - he's still alive and greatly respected - I'll go the email route!

huh.gif

E

#15 Jim

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE(Eben @ Oct 11 2006, 06:17 PM) View Post

Yeah - he's still alive and greatly respected - I'll go the email route!

huh.gif

E

Whenever you're ready, my friend! tongue.gif

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com