Landline voice 250 615 2800
TEXTING ONLY 604 674 2250
email me firstname.lastname@example.org
While waiting for the lacquer to cure on the little left-handed, parlor-size guitar I built I decided to use up some of the scrap pieces of wood lying around and build a uke. It had been several years since I had build a concert uke and as it turned out the wood I had was just the right size. I had a couple book matched pieces of mahogany that would yield one-piece front and back and a side each. So that's what I used.
Then, in mid build, I started getting in touch with my inner Padma and Emma. I decided that I would do something different for reinforcing the sound hole. I put the reinforcement patch on the outside and then made it a little fancy.
I liked the effect so much that I decided to add a few more furbelows to the body.
Since I was using scrap pieces where possible I was quite surprised by the fingerboard. I found a dark piece of wood in a pile that was just about the right size. It was very dark and I really couldn't identify it. But when I cut it I started to see the distinctive coloration of purple heart. And since it has been out in the light it has gotten more purple. Kind of a nice surprise.
Finally I decided to do something different for the peghead.
Years ago my friend Don had cut me a bunch pieces similar to the piece of maple using his CNC router with just the eastern border of Texas being shown. I used to put an overlay of contrasting wood that had the western border of Texas cut into it; you know, the New Mexico part. But this time I simply cut a small trough. After I had finished the uke I thought I could have put some ebony and turquoise dust in the trough to highlight the border. And I may yet. The turquoise would be for the Rio Grande of course.
I'm still working on the setup. I've found that with such a short scale, 345 mm, the action height is critical. With too high an action the tune is greatly affected by fretting the strings. I have gotten it pretty close. It's a cute little cuss and sounds pretty sweet. But I'll tell you, between the close strings and really close frets near the body it is a challenge to make chords.
25 Views · 2 Replies ( Last reply by TexasUke )
I've glued on the bindings. My first binding job. The channels were chiseled by hand. I'm posting photos here. But I need help in fixing this without pulling the bindings off and starting over. It seems no matter how I tried the channels were done poorly. I have extra space between the side and the bindings, In some areas like the cutaway it's even worse. Too wide. Can I melt some white plastic binding with acetone and fill in the areas. Then scrap to fit as best as I can ? Or does anyone else have a better idea. Some of the areas I think could be left and I could use that fix where I sand some sawdust into the crack with CA glue. However there are some areas where that is just too wideas in the cutaway. Any suggestions ? Thanks
171 Views · 17 Replies ( Last reply by Brad Hofrichter )
So 2 to 3 weeks we gonna be rocking
So watch out the new wood will be flowing
Also pickup new wood along the way
So get your Katz licks together as we have a pride of alot of wood
Inge is walking and life is going to be good my friends
Let's get to building.
Will be rocking with more buildalomgs soon
A quickie uke build
TexasUke - Yesterday, 03:26 PM
No Auctions this Saturday
DaCosta Hybrid - Jun 25 2015 04:14 PM
Glued up the binding- How to fix the channel areas that are too wide.
Brad Hofrichter - Jun 25 2015 12:00 PM
More five-string fiddles
Chet Bishop - Jun 23 2015 08:32 PM
Amazing new Arch Top guitar concept!
Schreiner Guitars - Jun 22 2015 05:55 PM
Google, Bing, Bobalou, playonit, Fred Marcuson